On May 2, 2019, Quality Consultant at the Deanship of Academic Development and Quality, Dr. Ahmad Farid, led a workshop at the Faculty of Languages and Translation (FLT) on NCAAA accreditation of the English language program. The first step in this process is for the department to complete a comprehensive initial self-evaluation. This analysis evaluates the current performance levels of all essential academic functions in the program. The FLT is pleased to report that the initial self-evaluation is complete.
The comprehensive self-evaluation is a complex and labor-intensive effort. The FLT assembled 11 faculty teams, each of which was assigned to evaluate a mission-critical department function. A total of nearly 30 faculty members from the FLT participated. The process involves analyzing tasks and the associated sub-tasks, then measuring current performance against a variety of quantitative and qualitative standards. The teams were working on a tight schedule for this phase of the accreditation project. Also, the work had to be completed in accordance with a strict set of evaluative parameters. Every team met the challenge head-on, and delivered high-quality work on schedule.
Vice Dean of Academic Development and Quality, Dr. Abdulrahman Almosa, is pleased with the FLT's progress. He stated "Before the NCAAA will begin its own critical analysis of the program, certain requirements must be satisfied. The program under consideration must demonstrate that appropriate quality assurance standards are in place, and that all operations are in accordance with its institutional charter or license. The self-evaluation requires that the department support each conclusion with a coherent statistical analysis based on traceable raw data. This effort required that the teams collect, analyze, and evaluate in a short time frame. Each team had to collate quantitative data from a wide variety of sources, and collect qualitative data from the different stakeholders, including students, faculty, and members of the community." Dr. Almosa then commended the accreditation teams for their hard work and exemplary results.
Program Coordinator at the Faculty of Languages and Translation, Dr. Fadi Al-Khasawneh, expanded upon Vice Dean Almosa's introductory remarks. "The accreditation process begins with a rigorous self-evaluation of the program. The NCAAA will not start its independent review until it is satisfied that we have completed a fair, balanced, and objective internal evaluation of our program," he said. This requires that the department conduct a detailed performance analysis of operations in 11 separate areas. Dr. Al-Khasawneh also noted that each internal evaluation is subject to independent review by a duly authorized NCAAA review panel.
The accreditation process entails for additional major steps to be completed in due course:
- Acceptance of the application by the NCAAA, and scheduling of dates for review;
- Completion of a Self-Study Report for Programs (SSRP) using the criteria and processes specified by the NCAAA. This normally takes between 9-12 months. NCAAA will provide ongoing advice during this period to ensure full compliance with all requirements;
- Independent evaluation by the NCAAA or it delegates, including a site visit by a review panel;
- Decision on accreditation by the NCAAA after consideration of external review panel recommendations.
This first phase of accreditation was not easy. The teams had to complete a large amount of work in a short amount of time. Moreover, the period of performance of this phase overlapped with the end of the school year. The FLT would like to recognize the respective team leaders and members for their hard work on the project as follows:
Standard 1: Mission, Goals & Objectives
- Team Leader: Hassan Costello
- Team Members: Saqub Aftab + Dr. Charles Forman + Dr. Michael Hadzantonis + Dr. Justin Sfariac
Standard 2: Program Administration
- Team Leader: Mahmudul Haque
- Team Member: Mohammad Adil Siddique
Standard 3: Management of Program Quality Assurance
- Team Leader: Abdullah Al-Rezgi
- Team Member: Javed Ahmad
Standard 4: Learning & Teaching
- Team Leader: Dr. Fadi Al-Khasawneh
- Team Members: Dr. Karem Abdullateef + Dr. Eyhab Abdulrazak Bader Eddin + Dr. Adel Bahameed
Standard 5: Student Administration and Support Services
- Team Leader: Dr. Dawood Mahdi
- Team Member: Dr. Omer Sultan
Standard 6: Learning Resources
- Team Leader: Mohsin Khan
- Team Member: Dr. Sayed Mohammed Bilal Kadiri
Standard 7: Facilities and Equipment
- Team Leader: Dr. Ahl Allah Saddiqi
- Team Member: Mohammed Fouad
Standard 8: Financial Planning and Management
- Team: Academic Development & Quality Unit
Standard 9: Faculty and Staff Employment Processes
- Team Leader: Abdul Rauf Khan
- Team Member: Fazle Malik
Standard 10: Research
- Team Leader: Dr. Hasan Jaashan
- Team Members: Dr. Abdelhamid Bessaid + Dr. Sayed Rashid + Dr. Yahya Zeghoudi
Standard 11: Institutional Relationships With the Community
- Team Leader: Dr. Abdul Wahed Al-Zumor
- Team Members: Dr. Nisar Koka + Dr. Mohammed Osman
The Faculty of Languages and Translation is dedicated to providing excellence in all aspects of its educational offerings. The FLT, its students, and alumni deserve national recognition for the quality of the program. The department is determined to secure such recognition by way of NCAAA accreditation in the near future.
Source: Faculty of Languages and Translation