The Faculty of Languages and Translation was first established under the designation "The Institute of Languages and Translation" pursuant to the supreme approval of King Khalid University's organizational chart No. 15/8 of 1/2/1420 AH. This was the result of the transformation of the former Department of English at King Saud University and the Department of English and Translation at the branch of Al-Imam Mohammad Ibn Saud Islamic University into the "Institute of English and Translation". Thus, the designation of "The Institute of English and Translation" was changed to "The Faculty of Languages and Translation" pursuant to the supreme approval of the decree No. 5-31-1424 of 26/9/1424 AH.
The deanship of the faculty has been assumed by three deans so far. First, it was His Excellency, Dr. Abdullah Abu Ashi, then His Excellency, Dr. Hizbullah Al-Sindi, and currently His Excellency, Dr. Abdullah Al-Melhi, is in office.
The faculty comprises three main departments: the Department of English which supervises 3 programs: a Bachelor of Arts in English, a Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics, and a Doctorate in Applied Linguistics. In addition, the Department of Translation supervises a Master of Arts in Translation program while the Department of Modern Languages supervises a Bachelor of Arts in Chinese program.
The faculty currently focuses on English and Chinese and it has obtained the supreme decree No. 7/B/45888 of 23/11/1432 AH, allowing it to establish two postgraduate programs in Translation and Applied Linguistics. These programs enabled the graduation of a great number of male and female students. In addition, the faculty is currently preparing for the launch of a doctoral program in Applied Linguistics for the 2020 academic year.
The faculty seeks to form qualified cadres to work in different fields such as teaching in general and higher education, translation and work in the Kingdom’s embassies abroad as well as in other fields. The faculty also contributes to the community through the organization of English training courses in coordination with the Deanship of Community Service and Continuing Education.
The number of male and female students in different disciplines reached 2,027 for the academic year 1440 – 1441 AH.
The faculty goes forward on steady paces in all fields and is endowed with a distinguished elite faculty staff from various nationalities. Further, the faculty has been equipped with listening and speaking labs. In addition to that, the faculty launched a language enhancement program, which plays a concrete role in assisting students in developing their English language and in improving their performance in their courses.
Translation Source: Dr. Yahya Zeghoudi