Speech Competition

Speech Competition

  The English Club of the Faculty of Languages and Translation - female section - conducted a Speech Competition. The audition day was on Monday 29/10/2019, and three students were nominated to the Finals, on Wednesday 30/10/2019. The English Club prepared a corner and evaluation forms for six judges from the Faculty. The Faculty members were responsible for evaluating contestants' performance, and they had the eligibility of 80% of the marks. Whereas, the audiences’ votes presented the remaining 20%.   After the final speeches, the English Club coordinator and judges calculated the marks and votes then announced the winners and distributed Certificates and Vouchers from Jarir Bookstore. It was a strong competition with interesting topics and performances. Date: 10/30/2019 Source: Ms. Maram Almalki, Student Affairs Coordinator
English

TOEFL Training

The English Club hosted an English Hour seminar led by Language Instructor, Hassan Costello. The training session was titled, The 60 TOEFL Structure and Written Expression Skills in 60 Minutes. The seminar covered test-taking strategies, a quick review of practice tests, tips to improving your Academic English, and an in-depth session on the Structure and Written Expression section.  Costello: The TOEFL examination is unique as it forces the students to use multiple skills when answering a single question. No matter whether it’s reading, writing, speaking or listening – all of these are strongly bound by time restrictions. You must be aware of the structure of the test, and focus on achieving the structural requirements within the appropriate time limits. I encourage you to use your power of prediction. The TOEFL test is run on computerized software. Keep in mind there are numerous slides and images that will allow you some extra time for planning and to predict some of the vocabulary of the topic coming up.  Date: 11/11/2015 Source: The Faculty of Languages and Translation
English

Communication Skills Workshop

The English Club in coordination with the Deanship of Student Affairs hosted a workshop titled “How to Improve Your English Communication Skills.” The event occurred on February 18, 2015, in Auditorium 6. It was a lively event that drew a crowd of nearly 500.  Hassan Costello, language instructor, covered different topic areas to include: Intrapersonal Communication Interpersonal Communication Small Group Communication Public Communication Costello: Practice will build your accuracy. Accuracy will build your confidence. Confidence will build your fluency. Be patient and make many mistakes. Those mistakes are incredibly valuable learning opportunities! Certificates will be distributed to all workshop attendees in the coming weeks. A vote of thanks goes to Dean Abdullah Al-Melhi for facilitating this event. In addition to all members of the English Club, further recognition goes to the following for making this event a success: Ibrahim Al-Asmari, director of student affairs Abdullah Al-Ahmari, student activities president Yusef Al-Shahrani, professional photographer Saeed Al-Ahmari, professional photographer Date: Spring 2015 Source: Faculty of Languages and Translation
English